Transform Manager Changes
A dynamic and evolving media industry continues to create great opportunities to reach consumers at home, at work, and on the go, and Microsoft is committed to providing best-in-class tools for building and delivering premium media workflows. As such, Microsoft is discontinuing Transform Manager on July 10, 2015 and we will transition customers to our unified end-to-end cloud based media platform - Microsoft Azure Media Services. Azure Media Services enables all of the capabilities of Transform Manager coupled with the power of the cloud and integrated ingest, encoding, streaming, and delivery.
- Transform Manager will no longer be available for download as of July 10th, 2015, and existing user support will end in 12 months.
- Deliver any media, on virtually any device, anywhere...with the power of the Azure cloud. Create end-to-end media workflows with flexible and highly scalable encoding, packaging, and distribution services using Microsoft Azure Media. Start your Free Trial HERE
Whether you have libraries of content or a steady stream of user-generated content that you want to convert from one video format to another, IIS Transform Manager can help. Transform Manager is an extensible media transform engine that easily enables "watch folder" job submission, queuing, management, integrated media transcoding/transmuxing, and batch-encryption of on-demand audio and video files.
Transform Manager integrates directly with Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Service Pack 2 (SP2) to allow you to queue multiple encoding jobs in specified input folders ("watch folders") on your server, process them per a job template created from a set of pre-defined rules ("tasks"), and then deliver them directly to specified output folders. For example, you can drop a set of Windows Media or MP4 files into your watch folder, transcode them as IIS Smooth Streaming presentations, and then deliver them directly to IIS Media Services 4 web folders, complete with Microsoft Silverlight media players. Transform Manager can also quickly convert (or "transmux") your H.264-based Smooth Streaming presentations directly into MPEG-2 Transport Stream (MPEG-2 TS) segments and manifests for adaptive streaming to Apple® iOS devices. In addition, Transform Manager has an Application Programming Interface (API) that enables you to write your own tasks that can be used to support custom actions, third-party encoders, or your own encoding applications.
IIS Transform Manager 1.1 allows you to do the following:
- Convert an existing content library. Using the integrated Expression Encoder 4 SP2 task, transcode an existing content library of Windows Media Video (WMV) or MP4 files and schedule for multiple bitrate (MBR) encoding to the Smooth Streaming file format. Using this workflow, you can set up watch folders that point to existing content, transcode, and deliver full Smooth Streaming and Silverlight player experiences to your web server.
- Transmux MP4 files for Smooth Streaming. Repackage appropriately-encoded fragments in .mp4 file containers to Smooth Streaming file containers (.ismv, .isma) without re-encoding.
- Transmux for Apple iOS devices. Drop existing Smooth Streaming presentations into a watch folder to batch-transmux them into MPEG-2 TS segments and manifest files, enabling delivery from the Smooth Streaming extension in IIS to Apple mobile digital devices.
- Apply encryption. Encrypt on-demand Smooth Streams using Microsoft PlayReady license servers and update the client manifest used by Smooth Streaming Clients.
- Constant ingest/transcode. Create a new watch folder that allows an incoming run rate of up to 100 constant files per minute to be queued and encoded to Smooth Streaming file format with the integrated Expression Encoder 4 SP2 task, using a configurable preset and a Smooth Streaming player template.
- Monitor watch folders. A notifications feature for watch folders allows you to post notifications to your own web service to collect, send email, log in a database, or build your own monitoring UI.
- Apply improved Logging. Finer-grained logging controls and log rollover settings let you get and keep exactly the information you need.
- Scale-out with HPC. Integration with multiple-core High Performance Computing clusters of Windows Servers means you can transform a full library of media content in much less time.
- Manage credentials granularly. You can manage credentials on each watch folder.
- Task-chaining. Create custom job templates that combine multiple tasks into a unique workflow.
- Create custom tasks. Use the updated Transform Manager Task API to create custom tasks that integrate third-party encoding applications, media processing, asset upload, or web services into the workflow.
New in Transform Manager 1.1
- Improved Mp4ToSmooth transform support. The title attribute is now supported in input SMIL for Mp4ToSmooth transforms.
- Multi-codec support for the same language. Now you can name streams using the “title” SMIL attribute to support more than one codec for the same language. For example, English can support both the AAC-LC and Dolby Digital Plus codecs.
- Corrected NALU order for HLS streams. Fixes a bug in which some players could not play the first 2 seconds of a presentation.
Several of the Transform Manager 1.1 features listed above are represented in the following workflow diagram for the Expression Encoder 4 SP2 task. Click the image to see a larger version.
Figure 1. One possible IIS Transform Manager 1.1 workflow for an Expression Encoder 4 SP2 task.
IIS Transform Manager is designed to work with other programs, such as programs handling audio or video signals. It's solely your responsibility to ensure your compliance with any terms accompanying such other programs, and that you have obtained any necessary rights for your use of the programs.