Provisioning IIS 7 sites is a straight forward operation. You can accomplish it:
- Through the IIS Manager UI
- Programmatically in C#
- Through PowerShell Scripts
This article provides a map of resources for each case. See the links below.
- The article Understanding Sites, Applications, and Virtual Directories in IIS 7 provides a good introduction to these concepts and the specific changes to IIS 7.
- The Add a Web Site article in Microsoft Technet's IIS 7 Operations Guide provides the IIS Manager and command line steps to create a site.
- Provisioning IIS 7 Sites for Shared Hosting contains guidelines on how to provision sites in Shared Hosting scenarios.
- The Provisioning Sample in C# article gives examples of User Account, Content Storage, Application Pool, Web and FTP Sites creation.
- The Hosting Services Code Sample section shows how to implement the provisioning of sites (and other resources) as part of a larger Hosting Services System.
- Finally, the Code Samples and Scripts section provides simple code snippets in C# and PowerShell that illustrate programmatic ways of creating sites and other resources.