WebMatrix supports installing open source community applications from the Web Application Gallery, and publishing to hosting providers, including a set of Beta partner hosting providers. This FAQ contains information about installing and publishing, as well as any issues that may occur after publishing.
Installing and Publishing Subtext
Q: How do I install Subtext?
A: To install Subtext, use the following steps:
- Open WebMatrix and select Site from Web Gallery.
- Select the Blogs category on the left-hand side.
- Find Subtext in the list and install it.
- In any workspace, on the Home tab, in the Site group, click Run or press F12 to open the site in your default web browser.
- Follow the instructions to complete installation.
Q: How do I publish my Subtext website?
A: To publish a Subtext website, use the following steps:
- In any workspace, on the Home tab, in the Site group, click Publish.
- On the Publishing Settings dialog, enter the server info you received from your web host.
- Click Validate Connection to ensure that the settings are correct.
- Click Publish.
- If you have not published your database before, select the Database checkbox.
- After previewing the changes, click Continue.
Issue: Subtext gives a “Server Error in '/' Application” when you download a published site
Workaround #1: Open up the site's web.config file and replace the user ID and password in the database connection string with the SQL Server administrator credentials (i.e. "sa" credentials).
Workaround #2: Give the user account you are logged in with db_owner permissions.
1. Install SQL Server Management Studio using the Web Platform Installer
2. Connect to your local SQL server (.\SQLEXPRESS by default)
3. Click Databases > [localSubtextDatabase] > Security > Users > [localSubtextuser - default is "subtextuser"] and right-click for properties. Check the box for "db_owner" in the role membership section.
Discuss in IIS Forums